Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Argument Writing

 
We are learning how to write a really convincing argument. We have been learning how to use three persuasive writing techniques: Kairos, Pathos and Ethos

Kairos (Importance)

  • “you have to write to your principal NOW, or you can’t do any of that stuff”- Flynn
  • “if you don’t support this change, then all the children at school will have a bad education” - Kai
  • “If you don’t ban homework NOW, then kids won’t be able to go outside and play”- Saxon
  • “If you don’t act now, it will NEVER change”- Samantha

Pathos (Sympathy) Ignore warning

  • “Sometimes people throw gum on the ground, and a bird comes along and eats it, Yuck! It hurts its beak and chokes to death on the gum. Poor bird! – Shannyn.
  • “Imagine being a dog yourself, and having to stay at home all by your self. Poor you!” - Holly
  • Just think! If you were a mum, would you like to have 6 hours of your day wasted, doing a job that you are not paid for?” – Bruno
  • Just think about all of the kids stuck indoors, wishing to go outside and play, poor kids”- Tessa.

Ethos (I know what you mean)

  • “Believe me about this, homework is a complete waste of time, trust me, I’ve been there before”- Tessa
  • “You should believe me, I’m just like you and I know what I’m talking about”- Bruno
  • Believe me, I’ve done homework for 4 years now, and it’s just so boring”- Saxon
  • “Believe me, I’ve seen this happen before...” – Rachel.

No comments: